Saturday, May 11, 2013

Divergent by Veronica Roth Review





My Rating: 5 (Out of 10)



After much hope and anticipation that this book was going to be an amazing dystopian masterpiece, I have to say I have been let down.  I had high hopes with it being a goodreads choice right on the cover and after all most of the books I discover to read are from goodreads so I figured I would trust them.  Unfortunately, this time I felt they were wrong.

The first 400 pages just felt like a huge back story.  There were brief moments of action but none that seemed to leave a lasting impact on me.  The last 80 pages made me give a higher rating of the book than what I was expecting.  The dramatics in those pages is what is keeping me interested in the series.

As I was reading through the first part of the book, my mind kept going to The Hunger Games.  No, not in the way that I loved that book, but the dystopian worlds in both books had very striking similarities.  The new world broken up into different sections again.  The challenged they face.  Things a long that path.  But the similarities stop there.  

In most of the books I read, I often find myself trying to peek at the end and see where it leaves off.  But not in this one.  I knew what was going to happen next.  I wasn't drawn into the main characters and often felt like just an outsider.  When I read books, I love to feel like I am actually in them.  This one felt like I was a camera crew following someone around.

The love story in this book, although expected, to me, was pretty dull.  Roth set it up in the very beginning as soon as Tris got to her actual fraction.  To me, a teacher and student romance is so over played now.  I wanted something different in this book.  I was hoping for some kind of twist.  It never came.

The main highlighting features of this book that made me give it higher stars are:
- The last 80 pages (enough for me to be interested in the second book)
- The serum/ hallucinations.  This was the major part of the book that saved itself.  It offered a twist that I have not seen in a dystopian book so far.  It was a good plot change when Roth included them.
- Al.  Yes he played such a small role, but for some reason I found myself feeling sorry for Al.  I think he was the main game changer when it came to how Tris was going to deal with herself and find out where exactly she fell in the ranks of the Dauntless.


What am I hoping for in the next one:
- Find out more about what happened after the uprising.  Will there be a war?
- How does Caleb, Peter and Marcus all fit into the equation?


Next up I am reading Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn.
Description:  Fresh from her brief stay at a psych hospital, Camille Preaker's first assignment at her second-rate daily paper takes her reluctantly back to her hometown to cover the murders of two preteen girls.  As she works to uncover the truth, Camille finds herself indentifying with the young victims - a bit too strongly.  Dogged by her own demons, Camille will have to confront what happened to her years before if she wants to survive this homecoming.


Feel like adding something to my review?  Comment below or leave me a suggestion of what to read and review next.

No comments:

Post a Comment